Beginnings in 1910
George Skellerup, a Danish Australian opened his first retail store in Christchurch, New Zealand on 12th September 1910, selling tyres and rubber goods for the New Zealand dairy industry. By 1939, three rubber factories, a wholesale distribution company and a chain of retail branches had been set-up. These operations were consolidated in 1948, when Skellerup Industries Limited listed as a public company.
Based in Christchurch, Skellerup Industries Limited (SIL) employs around 200 people and sells its product throughout the world with its largest export market into the USA. SIL is part of the Skellerup Holdings Limited (SHL) Group of companies which is listed on the NZX Stock Exchange. SHL and its businesses including SIL employ over 700 people globally designing and supplying Agri and Industrial products for customers across the world.
We have always been at the forefront of our markets and while there is strong domestic and international demand for our core agricultural and industrial rubber goods, the range and depth of products manufactured and marketed by Skellerup continues to grow. As well, our solid financial position has enabled a number of acquisitions to complement our core businesses and to extend our product offering locally and globally.
Our strength and our future lies in this extensive range of reliable, dependable, quality products – from industrial rubber products, farm supplies and farm equipment, dairy rubberware (we are the second largest manufacturer in the world), to waterproof footwear, mining products, vacuum pumps and construction products.